About the world-class venue
The Stadium in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park was the venue for the 2012 Olympic Games and will also host the 2017 IAAF World Championships and IPC World Championships. It will also be one of the venues for the 2015 Rugby World Cup and from 2016 will be the home of West Ham United Football Club.
Building the Stadium: facts and figures
- For the 2012 Olympic Games, the Stadium was ‘clothed’ in almost a kilometre of cloth
- During excavation, 800,000 tonnes of soil were removed – enough to fill the Royal Albert Hall nine times over
- The Stadium has an 860 metre perimeter
- More than 5,250 people worked on construction between 2008 and 2012
- The turf used for the Games was grown in Scunthorpe and fitted over three days